What To Carry Along When Going For Rehab
Rehab treatment centres permit certain things and prohibit certain items; you should know the policy of your rehab treatment facility beforehand.
What you can carry to rehabilitation is subject to clinics' severe regulations. A list of allowed objects and forbidden ones is presented by most clinics.
You will be required to check in after you arrive at the rehab and begin the process for the admission. The staff will carefully check your belonging to ensure you are not carrying any banned substance or item with you. A checklist is provided by some clinics to make sure no items are forgot once treatment is over.
Supplies are permitted in the therapy clinics. The policies on the kind of items you can carry will vary according to the centres.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 772 3971
Looking For Packing Info
Most rehab centres have their own website featuring a "What to Pack" webpage, where you will find information regarding what is allowed. Search for the FAQ page if that section is not present. Although not all centres offer a checklist, some provide the patient in order to prepare them prior to admission. Contact your clinic's admission office if you don't find the material you need. They will be able to provide you all the answers to any questions you may have about what you can bring. This will also be an opportune moment for you to inquire about anything that you were not sure with.
The Things That Are Necessities In Many Rehabs
The list varies from centre to centre.
Below are some items that are most recommended
- The contact details of the people close to the patient.
- Jewels like your wedding ring or a watch that you wear every day and deem as necessary.
- Except for the above you are advised to leave all valuables at home.
- An alarm clock without a radio.
- Some centres are known to supply these items, and therefore, it would be better to verify this particular item before venturing out into the market to purchase them.
- Existing prescription medication should have complete and accurate labels and original container.
- It is recommended that all liquid medications be newly purchased and sealed.
- It is recommended to carry the names of every medication you are taking and its dose with you.
- Minimum amount of cash in cases where vending machines or in-house stores are accessible.
- Credit cards that will be used to cater for the expenses inside the rehab.
- Identification cards and insurance cards where they are necessary.
- All the contact information that may be used in case of anything.
- A journal or diary.
- If you want to mail letters, carry stamps, postcards, and envelopes with you.
- Photographs of friends or loved ones you hold dear.
- Reading materials like books however, some centres provide them to you.
- Most of the items that are allowed should play some part in the recovery process.
- Tip It is better if you bring paperbacks than hardcovers because they are lighter.
What Attire Is Needed
Be conscious of any limitations on the dress code while packing because most clinics have one. If you are not sure about how to pack for the weather, you should be looking forward to packing layering options like T-shirts, sweaters, cardigans and jackets.
This however does not mean that you should carry your whole closet.
Patients enjoy access to common laundry machines and therefore clothing that will last you for 7-10 days will be more than enough. Try not to bring clothes which require special washing like dry cleaning for example.
Ensure that you bring following clothes and items that will make your week comfortable
- Shoes An everyday comfortable shoes, a training or sports shoes for fitness activities, and flip flops for showering
- Shirts For slightly revealing articles, you may bring cardigans or pullovers to cover it to avoid dress code policy issues.
- Shorts They have to be long enough to comply with the clinic's dress code.
- A dress or two for any special events like appreciation or family night.
- A bathing suit a one piece for women and trunks for men.
- A bath robe.
- A belt.
- A hat it is possible that the centres may not allow hats indoors.
Hygiene And Beauty Products That Are Acceptable
All personal hygiene and beauty items have to be 100% alcohol-free in most rehabilitation centres. Some allow alcohol-containing products only when alcohol doesn't feature in the first three ingredients. Aerosols are not allowed.
These toiletries and personal products should be enough you to last thirty days especially
- Body sprays
- A toothpaste and toothbrush
- Products used mostly by females
- Shaving cream
Which Items Are Prohibited
A severe set of regulations and forbidden objects are present in every clinic. This is because they might compromise the recovery process of the patient or even put their lives at risk. The names of items in the prohibited items list vary from facility to facility; however nearly every centre prohibits these
- Drugs and alcohol
- Narcotics and prohibited prescriptions
- Sharp objects and weapons
- Food and drinks
- Everyday stuff containing alcohol
- Electronic cigarettes
- OTC medicines that are not allowed and have been opened before
- Nail polish and other related products
- Computer games
- Games equipment
- Skimpy clothes
- Body sprays with strong cents
- Cleaning products (bleach, ammonia, etc.)
- Electrical devices (televisions, gaming consoles, etc.)
- Games and playing cards
- Candles and incense
- Clothing with vulgarity or reference to drugs, booze or violence
One may not imagine that some of these items could be banned. The recovery procedure usually requires maximum concentration and that is why some items are not allowed. They will provide screening schedules or any equivalent at their specified time.
Outside catering is also prohibited because the food you eat needs to be according to the standards. You will be given three meals per day, snacks, and drinks All your diet needs will be fully taken care of by the rehab chefs.
These Items Are Permitted By Some Clinics But Not Others
Because policies differ from centre to centre, it is possible to find that some items are allowed in one and not in another. These are some of the items that may be allowed or not allowed in the facilities
- Smartphones and Laptops
- Access to these items will be restricted even if the rehab chosen by you allows these items.
- Don't leave your charger behind.
- You may be allowed to smoke at some time.
- These centres usually have some restrictions regarding the number of cartons you can bring in.
- Vitamins and OTC Medications
- As long as they are new and never opened during admission.
- They have to be closed and sealed.
- Music Players
- It is sometimes possible to carry items that don't have an internet connection or speakers.
- For patients who are photography enthusiasts, the are allowed with the privilege to bring their cameras with them.
- Disposable or Electric Shavers or Razors
- This though is largely not admitted in most centres.
- Most of the times, throwaway razors are permitted.
- Nail Cutters
- Clippers are allowed although some centres consider this as a contraband.
- Objects That Make You Feel At Home
- The rehabs allow you to come with things that will make you feel as comfortable as possible just like you are at home.
- Before packing any of these items you should double check with the chosen rehab centres, whether they allow such items.
Will My Property Be Handed Over If It Was Confiscated Upon Admission
Your property will always be safe. In all likelihood, the centre will handover the item to the individual who accompanied you. In case you got no one with you at the time of admission, they will hold the item for 24 hours until your representative can claim it. You may also choose to pick the after the session ends.
This is mainly in instances where the close relatives are far and cannot come immediately. Make sure you review the regulations of your centre by calling them. You will wish to have back your forbidden objects packed by error. They can either send them back to your place or keep them safe till the end of the recovery process.
Packing For Rehabilitation Can Be Easy Read and stick to the policies of your centre; in case of a doubt, call them up. They always have documents that give details of this information. Pack only what you need as an advice.
Find Support Now
You can guarantee yourself a more cosy life while in rehab thanks to the numerous clinics that let you do so. Our treatment specialists can provide you the assistance needed to find a centre best suited to your requirements.
We can connect you with one if you get in touch with us on 0800 772 3971 .