The Transition Between Rehabilitation And General Life
Achieving sobriety is definitely an accomplishment which is incredible. However, remaining sober is another challenge by itself. Engaging in routine activities and committing to goals are few of the good distractions in order to stay clean from day to day.
It is way easier for a person to withdrawal from the drugs if they are in a rehab facility because they will be monitored there.
A rehab centre not only gives you a great chance to achieve sobriety but also equips you with knowledge, tools, and strategies to stay sober once you are back in the real world.
Graduating from rehab can be very encouraging and light yet it also brings new challenges in maintaining the new found sobriety.
Fortunately, the help received to recognise temptations, which may be faced after leaving the rehab facility provides the education needed with the methods needed to avoid or manage these triggers. Abstinence maintenance is made less difficult by this fact.
Managing And Staying Away From Temptations After Rehabilitation
The change to normal life after living in a rehab is something that is hard for many people.
One constantly gets more desires to use the drugs after they have left rehab.
Enticement may arise from some feelings you may have on getting back to your formal routines and meeting loved ones.
Here are few things you can engage in as distractions to manage triggers
- Finding A Solid Support System
- Those that have been able to maintain abstinence for a long time and also want you to do the same, are individuals you should be socialising with.
- Ensure you are part of a local support group on whom you can count for help.
- Environment Change
- Tell your family or friends to help relocate stuffs that can serve as initiators to relapse.
- Make an attempt to avoid places, which can spark feelings of interest in the use of drugs or alcohol.
- Define Future Goals
- Some support the idea that setting objectives or new plans for the future could help you become stronger in resisting urges or temptations.
- It will be easier for you to remain on track when you have understood the reasons why you want to stay composed along with all the benefits the sobriety can bring into your life.
- Go For Check Ups And Counsel Sessions
- In case you are supposed to meet your physician or counsellor, ensure you don't miss them.
- Always keep in mind that the experience and information you will get from your counsellors will equip you with skills and coping mechanisms that you may not figure on your own.
- Appreciation at every time.
- Make sure that you are grateful for your life and recognize the efforts you have made to become clean.
- Consider beginning a journal of gratitude and write down five moments every day that made you feel happy and fulfilled.
- Replace Bad Habits With New Better Ones
- The European Journal of Social Psychology reported on a study indicating that people require at least 60 days to form a habit so it is important to start a new one as soon as possible.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 772 3971
Taking Part In Clean Activities Instead Of Using
Giving up old habits and forming new, positive ones are essential to staying clean.
There are a lot of fun and interesting things to do nowadays that do not involve drugs or alcohol.
For help with staying sober post rehab, or if you need to go back, contact us on 0800 772 3971.
You can keep yourself mentally busy with these positive activities to stay clean after rehab
- Visit a shop for arts and crafts
- Seeking formal education
- Study new cultures and linguistics
- Offer humanitarian services
Join Support Groups That Provide A Community Feel
Seek for the nearest available support organization in your area and take advantage of the services offered. These support groups consist of people that share similar experience and recovery journey and being with them will help you a lot.
Involvement in other therapies like individual care, follow-ups, anonymous meetings and other form of self-help gathering can equally be done.
Can You Keep Sober When In The Presence Of Alcohol Or Drugs
Those that are freshly out of rehab should totally run from enticing atmosphere because they do not have strong resolutions like those that have achieved abstinence for quite sometimes. When you are in a place where access to drinks or other possible substances is uninhibited, then you may just well forget about sobriety.
With that said, if you know that you'll be in a situation where people around you might be drinking and some might even offer you one, you can use a time-tested strategy to overcome temptation.
What to do to resist urges in social gatherings
- Surround yourselves with people that can be trusted and visit the setting with a sober friend.
- If you get the urge to drink, you can use a drink that is not alcoholic.
- You can also spend as little time as possible in the gatherings where alcohol is available.
- In cases where you find the urges to grow stronger, it is best to leave and find a sober place.
The Advantages To Be Derived From Getting And Staying Clean
Better state of the circulatory and hepatic systems, abundance of energy, and ability to rest well are some of the numerous health merits. Embarking on a sober life is definitely worth the difficulty and the reasons go far beyond the physical benefits which will become attainable. One should maintain sobriety for these additional purposes
- Make new, clean friends
- Having new investments
- Clarity in mind and new excitement for life
- Extra energy to indulge in activities which you enjoy
- Look and feel healthy
- For other users trying to be sober, you can be a role model
Of all the battles you might fight, overcoming alcohol or substances abuse might be the most difficult. The devotion and struggle might be throughout one's life it is never simple and fast. Achieving sobriety will give you new confidence and you will find that you are now able to take challenges under which you used to buckle before.
You need every ounce of strength and positivity in completing this quest to total recovery. Recollection of reasons you decided to stop using at the beginning helps when faced with urges to backslide.